When using the card at a merchant...The Wayne County Community Federal Credit Union MasterCard® functions as an ATM Card linked to your Savings, Checking and other transactional accounts you may have. You may use ATMs in the Alliance One network or the MoneyPass Network with no fee or surcharge. The card also acts as a debit card, so you can use the card at merchants and vendors using the internationally-recognized MasterCard network.
When using the card at a merchant...
At a glance, the merchant may not know if the WCCFCU MasterCard® debit card is a debit card, credit card or both. The merchant (or the card reader) usually will ask "Debit or Credit?", or you swipe your own card and are prompted to make a selection with the push of a button. Your decision merely determines how the purchase will be processed. The funds will always be deducted from your Checking Shares.
When you select "Credit" : purchases are processed by the MasterCard® network. You are required to sign a receipt like you would with a credit card purchase and funds in your Checking are put on "hold" until processed.
The advantages to choosing "Credit" are:
- Purchases may be protected by MasterCard's rules and regulations that allow you to dispute charges improperly processed by merchants.
- MasterCard debit (choosing credit) is more widely accepted with merchants as a form of payment.
- In some instances, merchant payment terminals are set up to default to (or practically) force "Debit" transactions. In these instances, you are not given the option to select "Credit". Tell the merchant you prefer a "Credit" transaction.
When you select "Debit" : your purchases are processed by the STAR® or MoneyPass System. Therefore, you need to enter a PIN (your four digit code) and funds are immediately deducted from your Checking.
- You should select "Debit" when you want cash back from the merchant. It saves you a trip to the ATM and saves youa trip, and provides funds when you really need it!
Other MasterCard Debit Card Information:
For lost/stolen cards: Please call Wayne County Community Federal Credit Union immediately at 330.669.2117 or 330.682.2117 during normal business hours. If it is after normal business hours for the credit union, then call 1.866.987.1457 to have your card blocked. On the next/following business day, you will need to call the Credit Union at 330.669.2117 to have a NEW card number issued.
Remember: If your card has been lost or stolen and we are not notified within 24 hours, you could be liable for all transactions that were done with the card and card information. We cannot put stop payments on any transactions being done with your debit card.
For any disputes: You must ALWAYS contact the merchant first - noting the date, time and person you spoke with before disputing anything with the Credit Union. Then, if the merchant will not do a refund, you will need to call 1.866.987.1457 Monday-Friday 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. to dispute the transaction(s). There is a fee of $25 for EACH dispute in question that will be charged by the Credit Union. You as the member could be liable for the first $50.
When using the card at an ATM....
- You can also use your Debit Card as an ATM Card as well. The card is assigned a PIN or Personal Identification Number (mailed to you seperately from the card mailer). Using the card and the PIN, you may pull cash from your account, or move funds or check balances at an ATM.
- A fee for some transactions may be assessed by the owner of the ATM. Some transactions may incur a fee if the transaction put the account into a negative balance.
- Wayne County Community Federal Credit Union does not operate proprietary (our own) ATMs, but does offer a networks of local ATMs for our members to use right here in Wayne County. These include ATMs operated by Farmers National Bank, US Bank, Westfiend Bank and Directions Credit Union. Click here for a list of the ATM locations in Wayne County, and links to the MoneyPass and Alliance One ATM networks.